Friday, February 12, 2010

lab days

Here are my thoughts for the lab days

cybertouch gloves
I liked the gloves because they were much easier to use than the head mounted goggles and the eye tracker. It was rather comfortable although the vibrating would get tiresome after a while. I followed up on Franck's code to try to have a button detect whether or not the hand was open or closed. When we clicked on the button, the code updates the data received from the sensors for the index finger. We determined that was good enough for a preliminary attempt. We ran the code a few times to determine the dividing value to separate open and close after adding the 2 sensor values for the index finger together. After determining this value, we added a command to start vibrating when the glove is closed, and stop when the glove is open. If we had more time, we would not require having to press the button every time to update the sensor values.

head mounted display
This was the first device I actually used. Josh had us do a user study while using the device. After turn it on, our first task was to do a basic and advanced walking test. I nearly bumped into the whiteboard on the basic test. Next, we had to stack the books on a table in a specific order while sitting and then while standing up. Then, we had to read and write on the board. Finally, we measured how wide and close our periphery vision was limited by measuring how close our hand was before it comes into view.

I thought that using this device was ok, but prolonged usage would give me a headache. It took me a while to get accustomed to the goggles because it seemed like everything was zoomed in . I couldn't see the periphery very well, and I don't want to do any difficult movements while wearing them.

eye tracker
When I used the eye tracker, I just had to figure out how to put it on, and calibrate it. I think the tracker had trouble tracking my eyes because of my glasses. Also, I don't think I calibrated it correctly because the cursor did not "follow" my eyes. I do not know much about the eyes, but the cursor did twitch a lot and quickly moved to one edge of the screen. I also couldn't "double click" by blinking very well either. I got a headache trying to use this device, so I probably should limit using this device.

No comments:

Post a Comment