Monday, May 4, 2009

Ethnography Considered Harmful

commented on
Ben Carlston
Lei Gu


I understand that the reason why CHI accepted this paper was to have the experts use the paper and the authors for target practice. However, as I understand it, they are only cautioning the blind use of the newer ethnography techniques. They are recommending to the designers to also take other approaches to design into consideration, not just the new ethnography techniques. I don't see why this paper has such a bad rep. It is not unreasonable to request that other factors be brought into consideration before making design decisions.

1 comment:

  1. Agreed. I think its because of how deeply rooted people are in the current method, that they find it hard that someone may suggest otherwise. Still, since I'm no expert in ethnography, perhaps my view on this matter would be vastly different than theirs.

    ReplyDelete